Worth to see in Nowa Huta
Arcelormittal Poland S.A. (the former W. Lenin Steelworks, then T. Sendzimir Steelworks)
A colossal institution with area of about 1000 hectares. The official opening day of the steelworks is considered to be July 22, 1954 – from then until 1990 it was called Huta im. W. Lenina. After the overthrow of communism, this patron did not fit in the new order, so it was changed to Tadeusz Sendzimir – an outstanding American constructor of Polish origin.
You can visit the company although it is currently owned by a private investor and it is working normally. Organized groups can enter to explore the most known and the most valuable production facility of the communist times. The mail entrance located at Ujastek 1 is one of the best examples of socialist realism in Polish art.
Wanda Mound – a memento of legendary ancient times. According to the legend, it is the tomb of the daughter of the founder of the city – King Krak. The daughter – Wanda, did not want to marry a German Man which meant giving away the power over Poland to foreigner, so she sacrificed herself by suicidal drowning in Vistula river. The mound is decorated by a 19th century monument designed by Jan Matejko.
Nowohuckie Centrum Kultury – centrum of cultre, often holds numerous concerts, shows and exhibiotions. Currently it is the home to Zdzisław Beksiński gallery of paintings – great Polish painter whose art have gained popularity in Europe.
Plac Centralny i. Ronalda Reagana – along with its surrounding buildings is a fine expositions of the history of Polish architecture of the last half a century. For tourists may look like a complicated labyrinth due to the fact that Nowa Huta was erected like a fortified camp – each of the sections resemble medieval fortresses and the entrances to the settlements are often hidden behind the walls. Patron of the Square – Ronald Reagan – was added on September 8, 2004 by the Town Council of Krakow.
Ludowy Theater – The theater was supposed to only be a scene of the Nowa Huta Theater, which was supposed to be built on the south side of Central Square. Due to the nature of the area -considered difficult for the theatre and acting arts, it became home for the artists who were too vanguard to break through somewhere else.
Aleja Róż (Rose alley) – In reference to the name, the entire alley had always been filled with roses, especially in the 1960s and 1970s. Today the number of these flowers is only symbolic. In the south part of the alley had once stood the Lenin monument which even went through an explosive charge (Lenin lost only his heel).
Arka Pana, Catholic Church – It is shaped like a Noah’s Ark settled on Mount Ararat, and for people who were trying to survive the hard times of communism, it was a clear metaphor. During the martial law it was often the place where fights between locals and militias took place.
PRL Museum – an institution set up by the Council of the City of Cracow in November 2012, the Museum is the place to meet various narratives about the Polish People’s Republic – political, social, cultural and civic, as well as being a host to talks and debates on the era which in Polish society raises a lot of controversy.
Wawel, picturesquely situated in the bend of the Vistula River in Cracow, is the most valuable monument of national history and culture in Poland. It is a repository of knowledge about Polish history and at the same time a symbol of their continuity. The hill was inhabited around 100,000 years ago, and from the early Middle Ages became the center of secular and ecclesiastical authority. Wawel has been listed on the Unesco World Heritage List since 1978.
Wawel Castle besides being the tomb of Polish kings and royal families, is also the resting place of artists and well-deserved Poles such as Adam Mickiewicz, Juliusz Słowacki, Tadeusz Kościuszko, Józef Piłsudski and others. Walls of the temple are decorated with remains of prehistoric animals, which were believed to have the purpose of protecting Wawel against evil. The Cathedral itself is surrounded by a wreath of 18 temples and a rampart surrounding the Cathedral and the entire Wawel Castle.
OLD TOWN AND THE MAIN SQUARE
The Old Town attracts many tourists from all over the world. Kraków is one of the 14 places in Poland that is included in UNESCO’s List of World Cultural Heritage. The architectural complex of the Old Town has survived all cataclysms of the past and has preserved its unchanged layout since the Middle Ages.
The Main Market Square is one of the largest squares in Europe. It has a square shape measuring 200 x 200 m. There is a town hall tower, three churches, the Cloth Hall, the tenement houses and the Adam Mickiewicz monument. While sightseeing you can listen to the Hejnał – musical symbol of Krakow, played on a trumpet – every hour from the top of the Mariacka’s Tower.
BARBAKAN – The northernmost part of the city fortifications of Cracow. It is located in front of the Florian Gate, on the south side of ul. Basztowa. Erected in the 15th century in Gothic style, it was surrounded by a deep moat, with a system of bridges and sluices.
KOŚCIÓŁ MARIACKI ( ST. MARY’S CHURCH)
– St. Mary’s Church in Krakow is one of the most recognizable churches in Poland. From a distance you can see two towers that differ from each other, their construction describes an interesting legend. Inside, we will find the magnificent altar of the work of Wit Swosz, showing the Blessed Virgin Mary surrounded by the apostles and the Assumption. Two moving side altars show scenes from the life of Christ and Mary. The whole altar is made in oak wood which is now more than 1000 years old!
SUKIENNICE (CLOTH HALL) – Standing in the middle of the Market Square, the Cloth Hall is one of the most characteristic landmarks of Krakow. As in the past, this building primarily serves commercial purposes, but today, instead of merchants, they visitors of the Cloth Hall are mainly tourists.
SCHINDLERS FACTORY – factory founded in 1937 as a place of enamel and tin production. Schindler had been hiring Jews threatened by extermination who then were listed in the so-called. Schindler’s list and were rescued from destruction of Holocaust. Since 2007 the factory has been divided between two institutions: the Historical Museum of the City of Cracow (which created the permanent exhibition: Cracow – the time of the occupation 1939-1945) and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
KAZIMIERZ – historic Jewish quarter where the Jewish and Christian culture were coexisting. At Szeroka Street there are five synagogues. The oldest – Old Synagogue, destroyed during the war, has been restored and today houses the Judaic collection of the Historical Museum of the City of Cracow.
Salt Mine in Wieliczka – Salt Mine „Wieliczka” is one of the most valuable monuments of material and spiritual culture in Poland, visited annually by over one million tourists from all over the world. It is also a world class monument, entered as one of the first twelve objects on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
THE PRINCES CZARTORYSKI MUSEUM – The museum is one of the oldest patriotic-historical institutions in Poland. Its origin is owed to Princess Izabela Czartoryska, the wife of Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoryski, who began collecting the valuable collections of European and Middle Eastern art at the end of the 18th century.